MY LEGISLATIVE PRIORITIES
Minnesota is rated one of the best quality-of-life states. But we still face many challenges. Here are Bonnie’s top legislative priorities.
Racial / Social Justice
I am fully committed to addressing racial and social justice issues in Minnesota and dismantling the systemic, structural racism that permeates every institution and corner of our society.
We do not need more empty community conversations that do not result in concrete action.
Those of us who occupy spaces of privilege need to do a deep examination of our participation in these systems and structures of racism, and how our own individual beliefs, conscious and unconscious, contribute to upholding those systems. Then we need to begin the personal and communal work of dismantling those systems. In practical terms, racial and social justice work includes ensuring a world-class education for every child; universal, affordable access to healthcare; living wage jobs and affordable housing.
I want to hold up “the Minnesota Model” of healthcare delivery as a way to make our healthcare systems more cost-effective by rewarding health care providers for outcomes rather than paying them for the number of services they provide. It is also time that we ensure access to healthcare for all Minnesotans. As your State Senator, I will:
- Support universal, affordable healthcare for all Minnesotans
- Promote policies that reward healthcare providers for outcomes rather than more expensive fee-per-service healthcare delivery
- Ensure that there is true parity in mental health coverage
- Ensure adequate support for the Statewide Health Improvement Program (SHIP) and other prevention initiatives
- Develop our mental health system to better meet the needs of Minnesotans who have mental illnesses and/or chemical dependency issues
I will work to eliminate the achievement/opportunity gap, expand learning opportunities, and ensure that Minnesota continues to have one of the most highly educated workforces in the nation.
- Increase funding for early childhood and K-12 education
- Attract and retain quality teachers
- Adopt student loan forgiveness programs
- Ensure proper funding for all schools, regardless of their zip code
- Invest in professional development for our educators
- Work toward a better ratio of students to school counselors (currently 754 to 1)
- Implement high quality preschool for 4-year-olds and push for more investment in early childhood education
- Improve education at every level
- Making higher education more affordable by holding down tuition costs and reducing student debt
Gun Violence Prevention
Gun injuries and deaths are a public health crisis in our country. Yet we have had no success in Minnesota passing gun violence prevention measures that have broad public support and that have been shown to reduce gun deaths. I strongly support passage of expanded background checks on gun sales in Minnesota and Red Flag legislation. I will co-author and pass these bills my first year in office
I will work to fund a comprehensive transportation package, including a long-term plan for repairing and maintaining our transportation infrastructure, which will lift more Minnesotans out of poverty, expand transit service in rural communities, and help narrow racial disparities.
- Efficient, affordable, and accessible transportation
- Rapid transit lines across the Minneapolis-St. Paul metro area, that will help put 500,000 more Minnesotans within a 30-minute commute of jobs
- Work to adopt a dedicated funding mechanism to provide secure, reliable funding for transportation.
Job creation and the economy
I will help develop an economy that works for everyone, not just the wealthy few.
- Keep Minnesota a competitive place to do business, for small, family-owned businesses and large companies alike
- Create more opportunities for low-income Minnesotans to fully engage in the economy
- Institute paid time off for employees to care for a sick family member or new baby
- Help and encourage employers to recruit, attract, train and retain a more diverse workforce
- Ensure paid time for sick leave
- Confront the challenge of racial and economic disparities
- Invest in the infrastructure of our colleges and universities, which are facing facility needs, such as repairing leaking roofs and cracked walls
- Invest in the maintenance of our economic infrastructure, including bonding investments that create good-paying jobs and increase private investment opportunities
- Increase private investment
- Improve incomes for all Minnesotans so that everyone has the opportunity to earn a good living, support their family, and retire securely
- Strengthen our state’s economy
- Invest in minority-owned businesses and small businesses